Traveling can be a stressful experience, beautiful but stressful. Navigating time zones, jet lag, sleep deprivation, foreign food
I am a self-proclaimed “food snob”, especially at home when all of my health food products, fresh produce, organic meat and fish, and supplementation are a short trip away. When I’m out globe trekking this is not always the case, and I’m totally fine with it. It is important to do the best you can do in each situation, sometimes you are able to find
As a nutritionist, I always recommend getting your nutrients from food first, but the reality is we often need a little boost, especially while traveling. Here are my top 7 supplements to travel with:
1) Vegan protein powder – Why? Traveling with a good quality protein powder will help stabilize energy levels in the road. My protein of choice is a combination of sprouted brown rice, pea, and hemp protein which grants a wide range of amino acids, plus easily digestible probiotics found in the sprouted grain helping keep you fuller, longer. One of my nutrition principles is to try to include some protein with every meal or snack and having protein powder on hand is a great way to ensure you aren’t consuming croissants only for breakfast. Mixing it into a smoothie, or even easier with water is a makes for a delicious and healthy snack. Vegan protein powder of choice? Biosteel. Check it out here.
2) Greens Powder – Why? I’m beginning to sound like a broken record but I refuse to apologize. #eatyogreens and #drinkyogreens is an important nutrition principle for ensuring essential nutrients in your diet. It can be really tough while traveling /eating out to get in the proper amount of veggie based nutrition, making Greens Powder a must-have. The powder I take consists of a wide variety of nutrients from all sorts of greens, an essential fatty acid blend for anti-inflammatory, digestive enzymes and pre and probiotic for enhancing digestion. You might have to chug it down because they don’t always taste amazing but your body will thank you. (You’re likely chugging down a few other drinks so why not one more.)
3) Adaptogenic Herbs – Why? There are a variety of different options but prefer ashwagandha, its many benefits including strengthening the immune system, incredible support on our adrenals, (which are the glands that control our stress hormones) mood improvement capabilities and an energy booster. Potential missed flights plus all the unknowns and new situations can be stressful (also the best part about traveling) and it’s great to give your system a little support.
4) Probiotics – Why? They are all the rage right now and for good reason. Gut health is a very popular topic in the nutrition and medical field and there is still a lot we do not know, but, we do know that 70% of our immune system is located in our gut AND there is a very strong gut-brain connection. Probiotics help to enhance digestion, boost good bacteria and are essential for proper absorption and assimilation of nutrients. As mentioned above, the immune system heavily relies on good gut bacteria in order to function properly and avoid illness and inflammatory responses. Probiotics are also key for helping in fighting against constipation and bloating while traveling. (That ain’t no joke!)
5) Magnesium – Why? It is a powerhouse mineral and includes a long list of benefits. Magnesium can be used for stubborn bowels (constipation) when that problem presents itself traveling. It also has specific properties that aid in nervous system relaxation, vital for recovery, resting and digesting. Magnesium can also be used in sleep aid, an all too common issue while traveling.
6) Oil of oregano – Why? The immune system can be susceptible to illness while traveling so although (in my opinion) it tastes gross, oil of oregano is a powerful anti-microbial and anti-fungal agent, which will help keep you healthy and exploring.
7) Biosteel’s High- Performance Sports Mix – Why? Because it is awesome! I don’t travel anywhere without it. The blend of electrolytes (magnesium, calcium, zinc, sodium and potassium), amino acids (BCAA’s, l-glutamine, glycine, and taurine), and b-vitamins make it a secret weapon. Especially if you are traveling to a warm country and plan on being active! This all-natural healthy sports mix has electrolytes to replenish those lost through sweat, amino acids to help you recover properly from exercise and b-vitamins to help balance the nervous system, supporting your immune system, and aid in energy production. All crucial for traveling. Check out Biosteel’s HPSM here and get yourself some.
We can’t control how our system will react to a new environment and the travel schedule but we can be prepared with tools to help us thrive while traveling.
Remember to #eatyoveggies.